Monday, October 12, 2009

The Question... The Answer...

Every night I watch the news and it's with increasing frustration that I see our young people being killed at an alarming rate. Sometimes I can't believe the things I see. Young children and teenagers beating each other to death or shooting each other with reckless regard for life. I've attempted to do some examination and research to understand the problem but the sad fact is that there are so many things wrong with our communities that it seems almost too large to fix. I try and encourage myself daily to continue to be positive and live with the hope and optimism that's been viral to me since I was a child yet the problems seem so large sometimes that I question the impact I can have as one individual. Understand I've sacrificed a lot to be a change agent in my family, community, and people. I've been willing to give up personal gain to help someone else most of my life and at times I've questioned the value of altruism. How do you help someone who doesn't care enough to help his or herself?

I guess many of us who have a passion for service may go through this. Sometimes it's hard to be selfless when the rest of the world seems so selfish. I guess I must reside in the face that I help others not for accolades here but because God has called me to do it. I heard a minister say recently that you have to have the perpetual voice and word of God in you. That way, when you face those trying moments His residence in your life is evident and you can fall on Him. That's a skill I am going to learn and one I hope to stregthen. I want to be able to fall behind the shield of God more often.

No comments: